Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Class Presentations

I found the presentations in class to be very interesting and informative.
Vadim did a nice job presenting how calculators can be used in class to save time and offer valuable instructional opportunities. I feel that there is a place for calculators in the classroom, but that it should be after students understand how to do some basic calculations. Students should not be using calculators to do math problems that they should be expected to do in their head or easily on paper.
I have never used a wiki before, so I liked having the opportunity that Jessica offered to look at how a wiki works and how easy they are to set up. Also, the classroom web pages were nice to see. This is something that I definitely want to get set up for my class in the near future. I am not a fan of toolbox pro, but having seen how easy it is to set up a website using Google, this may be a route I want to take.
Lauren 's presentation on the variety of interactive white boards was interesting because I did not realize how many different kinds there are. I am familiar with the Promethean Activboard and the Smartboards. Her presentation was a nice transition into my presentation on Promethean Activboards and the Activ Classroom.
I think we can all agree on some level that Project based learning offers so many more opportunities for students to understand, apply , and retain information that will be useful in the real world. Not only are they learning about a variety of concepts and how they are interrelated, but also they are working together to solve real life problems. I have seen projects that take place as a culminating activity after a unit is complete. These projects allow students to take what they have learned and apply it. I think for project based learning to happen in public schools you would need to have a strong community base and access to resources that many school districts may not have access to. Do I think it is great? Yes. Would I want my child to learn this way? certainly. I am just not sure how it could translate into public education without a complete overhaul of the system. Of course, what better time is there then the present when we have nothing to lose.

On other notes:
The NYS department of education is looking into cutting some state tests as a way to save money. At last- good idea! Hope to hear more about this soon. I know the NYS Social Studies test elementary through High school is one that may be possibly cut. I was unaware of the fact that NYS is the only state that administers state tests in social studies.

I was pleased to hear this past week that some of my former students who are in seventh grade now have been creating websites based on the reading series "Warriors". I would love to check these out. Cool to hear kids are doing creative things like that and that it is about reading! Been thinking about how I might be able to use blogs in my classroom. Might be cool to have students respond to one another in a book club through a blog. Just pondering...

No comments:

Post a Comment