Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Teacher Layoffs

The article presented in class about the number of teachers that are projected to be laid off due to budget cuts is astounding. Not only is it a difficult time to be looking for a teaching position in education, but it is difficult being a new hire. As a new teacher (not yet tenured) I find myself counting the number of teachers hired after me and going through scenarios in my head in which I may be cut. The sad fact is that while this hurts us as educators and prospective teachers, it is a truly sad time for education. The cuts schools are being forced to make are not because some schools are doing poorly and teachers need to be replaced or that some programs have been shown to be ineffective. No, these cuts are being made because there is no money to fund education. Looking at the situation optimistically, I hope that we can quickly move through these tough times and start making decisions based on what is good for students rather than what is good for our wallet. In just three four weeks I will be administering to my students tests that cost a lot of money and tell me very little about my students that I don't already know. How about saving a little money there?
While I am hopeful that I dodged the lay-off bullet this year, the rumor mill churns out fears that next year will be much worse. Some schools have reserves or grants that were already in place to help offset the loss of funds, but what about next year? Things will more than likely get worse before they get better. We can only hope, not just for ourselves, but for our children.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you put the focus on the children. They are what truly matters here. Yes, it is frustrating to hear the rumors and perspectives, but it's not our education in danger. The children are the ones who suffer the most and I sincerely hope that, like you said; "...we can quickly move through these tough times and start making decisions based on what is good for students rather than what is good for our wallet". I could not have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete